Friday, July 2, 2010

Bzzzzbzzbzzzzzzzzbzzbzzzzzz

I've been thinking a lot lately about where I want my life to go. What career do I want? Do I want a career at all?

Could it be that far too many people put so much pressure on themselves to be successful at certain stages of their lives, that we all constantly feel like we are behind the 8 ball? People seem to strive around me to be individuals and to have the most material things in their lives, but are they actually successful? I'm not too sure.

Take fashion for example, we (mostly) all want to look good and dress in the way that we feel suits who we are as individuals. Yet "fashion" is something that, by definition, has so many people wearing the same things. Then you get the non-conformists who dress in similar ways to each other to show that they aren't conforming to the mainstream. Its all very confusing.

Moving that thought to the working environment, as I'm now 30, I should be moving up into a management role by now, with a new house, iPhone and a BMW. But I'm not. Far from it. I think that I've realised why I've been stressed for so long in the working field - I'm just not suited to it. Following all that office politics game is not something that I've ever been good at (and have actually lost friends in refusing to do so). I need to be more relaxed and creative in my life.

I've realised that I don't really need the stress of rush hours, business meetings and the formality of the office anymore. Sure, I might need to do it here and there to support what I do want to do, but its not something that I want to do as a full time thing.

Which brings me to my desired job path - tattooing. Yes, yes, it sounds like a totally left field idea to suddenly want to do, but I've had an interest in tattooing for quite some time and did buy a couple of machines over a year ago but self doubt got in my head and I put it on the back burner to attempt to play the office promotion minefield - and we know how badly that went.

Over the past two days (it hurt like fuck causing limited time per session) I completed the basic outline for a thigh tattoo on myself. Its a japanese style koi. Fdoll, I think, it quite impressed for the first actual tattoo. As am I. I finally did it. The skin is broken and I'm hooked.

I want to do more work on it to complete the overall design and increase my technique level. Some close friends have already pledged to let me tattoo them, so I'm hoping that I can start off small and get a portfolio to then get a job in a tattoo shop. The idea of a job that is creative without management stresses (tattoo artists are usually freelance and the shop kinda sub-contracts to them), really appeals to me.

Anyway, just wanted to let you guys know how I'm doing for the moment.

:)

---
emails are welcome:
erratic.seasons@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment